Corporate politics is everywhere. They have caused an impact on every company. In fact, it's hard to find senior managers who absolutely avoid fighting.
Depending on how successful you are on the company ladder, you will feel the higher the heat. Executives and professionals have been talking about it, especially cocktail parties, but rarely in formal discussions or conferences. If it does appear on a formal occasion, it is likely to be acquired as "we need to reinvigorate culture."
If you are developing or trying to develop a new business in a large company that has a disruptive product or solution for the mainstream business, you may be caught in corporate politics.
This of course is my personal experience in running a business unit that creates new computers and equipment for people at the bottom of the pyramid. Any product we create is in line with Clayton Christensen's definition of disruptive innovation: it's more affordable [cheaper], easier to use [solving computer/technical literacy issues] than PCs, and has a unique value for PC today. presence.
How is the result for me? Not very good. I walked in with my eyes open, had seen politics before, and successfully completed the navigation work. Given what we are doing, I know it will be a tough one, but I am still fooled by the intensity of the disruptive business.
In fact, I came up with a way of describing corporate politics, and I often talk to my team, peers and respected bosses:
There are "good" politics and "bad" politics. Good politics is when someone needs a work system [such as culture, personality, organizational silos] to achieve business goals that are beneficial to the company [such as bringing new revenue, growth, profit, and satisfied customers]. The bad politics is when someone uses the same system to make them look good.
The morality of this story is obviously to practice good politics and avoid bad things. Looking back, the question of this method, and why I am stupid, is that you can do the best, use your best network skills, create wonderful things for your company, but ignore what I call negative. Politicians, you will most likely end up on a short shot, and you and the business you are running will be affected.
Therefore, my main advice is to ... understand your enemy, not to know yourself. I really hate the use of the word enemy because my "person" philosophy tends to be more inclined to trust. But these people think that you are an enemy; as a competitive position for the future or promotion of competition. [There is also a hint: they are correct to some extent. As you move up the company, you can reduce the position. Everything becomes more competitive.]
So let me introduce the five characteristics of the negative politicians I have observed over the years. They are effective:
from
Self-promotion. They do their best internally to promote themselves with the support of their business or products. If they post or post internal articles about content related to their business group, you will see subliminal tips for self-promotion.
management. They usually conceal negative information about their business from their boss and selectively do things positively.
Use information as a power. They may use confidential information [or they are classified as confidential] related to the business they are involved in to increase credibility. For example, in meetings with other senior executives, they will reveal decisions or strategies that they know will appeal to the audience.
Become a "partner" with power. They tend to actively connect with key promoters and vibrators within the company. If executive suites are often political, then you can bet that they have found a way to make them like the company's top dogs.
Dissemination of false information about potential "competitors". They quietly spread rumors and/or misinformation about people who might threaten them professionally, or against the business that the person is running.
If reading these five characteristics can make your stomach nervous, whether in principle or because you have seen them in action, the next question you have to ask is how do I stay away from these people?
Short answer: You can't do it. The answer is long: whether the strength of politics is low or high, you must learn to work in the "wolves." And I think you can do this without falling into their own level.
I am by no means an expert in the best way to go to these waters, but I have learned from past mistakes and have thought about this topic for a long time.
I have five suggestions, and I will give those who are currently or expect to be in this situation:
from
Always keep your ears close to the ground. Keep an eye on and keep a mental list of those who have consistently acted the way I described above. By adding your trusted network, you can forget the error message and make corrections.
Don't provoke them anybody. People with bad mouths are things that negative politicians do, and you are likely to hear it. Information is very easy in the company. The proverb "If you don't have a good word to say, don't say it", it applies here.
Don't alienate them, even if they mess up you. Another motto I found was "never burn the bridge", anyway. I have never burned a bridge. Those who have difficulties.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Don't shy away from negative politicians. Network with them. Good words and praise have a long way to go. I find that those who are insecure and have self-esteem problems are often the most political, so find ways to help them and/or increase their sense of self-worth. But don't make up. Be honest about anything you say or do.
Use some of their strategies in a standardized way. Do some self-promotion in a way that promotes others. The power of the network to show your value to the company. Don't avoid them in social activities... look for them. Read Keith Ferrazzi's "Never never Alone" to learn how to do this.
Another reference: Dan King, the head of a meaningful career, wrote a great article called "Winning Organizational Politics without Losing Your Soul", this article provides additional insights and reasons Let you be overwhelmed. As he said in the article, politics is a game. "Play or not, the game is still going on!"
Orignal From: Corporate Politics - Elephants in the Room
No comments:
Post a Comment